Get in on the Fun
Volunteers are needed daily to walk beside the students while they ride, ensuring their safety, and to take care of and control the horses throughout the lessons. All you need is a completed application, a schedule, and a little training to get started.
Orientation and Training Session Guidelines
At this orientation and training session, required of all volunteers working directly in the riding lessons, we will review the history and purpose of our program, learn about how to keep students safe in lessons and take a tour of our facility. We will also conduct a hands-on training with the horses that qualifies volunteers to be Sidewalkers. In-depth horsemanship training for those who would like to be Leaders will be conducted at a later date. The orientation is usually scheduled at 4:15pm on a Monday but pre-registration is required.
- Your completed Volunteer Application, signed by your parents if you are under 18
- Our volunteer schedule marked with your first and second choice of shifts clearly marked
- A copy of a TB clearance done within the past two years, if you intend to volunteer with us during daytime hours September – March (this is a requirement of the Elk Grove Unified School District of anyone working with their students)
- If you are a student with CSUS doing Service-Learning, be sure and bring all required paperwork from the university
- (optional) A Snack or Water Bottle
- Comfortable clothing you don’t mind getting dusty
- In cool weather you should plan to dress in layers as we are partially exposed to the environment; in warm weather, jeans or modest shorts and a t-shirt are fine.
- Sturdy closed-toe, closed-heel shoes or boots
Please do NOT wear or bring:
Strappy tank tops or tube tops, short-shorts (use the length of your hands at your sides as a guide), flip-flops or other open sandals, dangling jewelry, sagging pants, exposed undergarments, clothing with inappropriate language or images, personal music players, earbuds or video game players.
We ask for everyone’s safety that you turn off or silence all of your electronic devices while you are here.
Be ahead of the game – watch our training video before you come!
Sign up to attend our next orientation!
We hold orientation and training sessions for new volunteers approximately once monthly. They are often, but not always, held on the first Monday of the month in the afternoon. We will confirm the exact date and time after you sign up.